If you are interested in the world around you, this course is perfect for you. It offers the opportunity to explore fascinating events of the past whilst building essential skills for future life.
The study of History equips you with vital skills, including: literacy skills, questioning and listening skills, co-operation and team work, enquiry, communication, analysing and learning about the world around you.
Unit 1: (25%) – England 1547-1603: The Later Tudors.
You will study the reign of Henry VIII’s three children, starting with the boy-king Edward VI. Explore how he transformed Protestantism and after his death at the age of only 15, his throne was passed to his Catholic sister ‘Bloody Mary’. You will study her persecution of Protestants which earned her the infamous nickname. Finally, you will study the reign of Anne Boleyn’s daughter Elizabeth, ‘The Virgin Queen’, who restored religious peace and fought against protest and attack.
Unit 2: (15%) – Democracy & Dictatorships in Germany 1919-63
For this unit you will study three systems of government and their impact on German society. You will explore the recovery of Germany after WW1 and the development of the Weimar Republic. In 1933, Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany and the Nazis consolidate their power, we will then study life under the Nazi dictatorship and its ultimate defeat in WW2. Finally, you will explore how Germany recovered from the war with the division of Germany into the Federal Republic and the DDR.
Unit 3: (40%) – Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992
You will study how African Americans, Women, Native Americans and Trade Unions all fought for their Civil Rights from the American Civil War, 1865 until 1992. You will cover how the government wanted to help or hinder each movement, and how things changed with each President. You will also explore the different techniques that they each used across the time period such as the March on Washington or the shoot outs with the Black Panther Party, and how influential different figures were to each movement, for instance, Martin Luther King Jr. to African American rights.
You will choose a question to explore, based on the content of the Germany unit or the Elizabethan unit. After independent exploration, you will write a 3000-4000 word essay. Explore fascinating areas of debate, such as ‘To what extent was Hitler a weak dictator?’ or ‘How far was Elizabeth’s failure to marry the result of the attitude of her council?
How is it assessed?
You will sit 3 exams at the end of year 13 which will make up 80% of your total mark. You will also complete the coursework component in year 13 which is worth the remaining 20%.
You will have the opportunity to take part in a life-changing trip to Poland where you will visit the infamous Nazi death camp Auschwitz as well as exploring the Polish city of Krakow. Additionally, there is also a joint opportunity with the MFL department for a trip to Berlin.
A grade 5 in GCSE History is desirable, however, students who achieve a grade 4 will be considered.
If a student has not studied History at GCSE, an English GCSE at grade 4 or above is essential.