The recent outbreak of Coronavirus is clearly going to disrupt our normal day to day lives. As a school, we continue to receive daily updates from the government and we continue to follow their advice.
Whilst students are absent from school self-isolating they can still be getting on with their school work. Most of our departments now have a lot of resources built up in Microsoft Teams, a platform which can be accessed via computer, tablet or phone. More instructions on how to log into Microsoft Teams can be found here.
We will try and keep you up to date with any developments as much as we can on this page. See updates below:
Wednesday 11th March 2020
- Mr Hammond sent a letter to all parents on our school app to update them about everything we have put in place so far and our plans as the outbreak develops. The letter can be read here.
Friday 13th March 2020
- Letters have been sent to parents via the app about the cancellation of our annual Ski Trip to Austria at Easter.
- Letters have been sent to parents via the app regarding the Summer visits to Sicily and France.
- Next weeks Sixth Form visit to Oxford and Cambridge has been cancelled by the hosts so the trip will not run.
Monday 16th March 2020
- As of this morning, we will be cancelling ALL local trips & sporting fixtures to minimize the risk to our Staff and Students.
- As of tomorrow – ALL meetings with Parents/Carers and External Agencies will be by telephone only. No face to face meetings will take place on-site.
- Year 10 Parents’ Evening on 2nd April will be postponed to a later date.
- Year 10 Shine visit to York University next week is cancelled.
- Year 8 Beamish trip (3rd April) won’t be running we are in talks about moving the date or cancelling. More information to follow.
- Mr Hammond sent another update letter to all parents on our school app. The letter can be read here.
- We cancelled all Year 10 Work Experience placements. A letter from Miss Liddell can be read here.
Tuesday 17th March 2020
- We have added a new heading on the main school website at the top called Coronavirus. In here will be work for students to do while they are self-isolating. This will continue to grow in the next day or two.
- Mr Hammond has sent another letter to parents via the app. The letter can be read here.
Wednesday 18th March 2020
- Year 12 taught lessons have been suspended from today, Year 12 students are welcome to come into college for independent study and resources/assignments will be available on Microsoft Teams.
- The upcoming Year 7 & 8 Retreat due to take place in May has been cancelled. Any money paid in Parent Pay will be refunded.
- Plans to attend the YMT Summer festival in June are also now cancelled.
Thursday 19th March 2020
- The government announced last night that schools will close at the end of play on Friday, but would remain open for children of key workers.
- The government announced last night that exams will be cancelled. We have no more information on this other than that and we will update you as we know.
- Year 13 lessons have been cancelled – students are welcome to attend college today/tomorrow.
- We have sent a survey to all parents/carers in the app regarding Child Supervision for Key Workers and Free School Meals provision for those students who normally receive free school meals from Monday 23rd March. Please register if you will be requiring either of these services. The form has now closed, please email email@example.com if you would like to be added.
- The year 8/9/10 trip to Weardale in the Summer has been cancelled and money will be refunded as soon as possible.
- School open to Years 7, 8, 9 and 10 only on Friday 20 March 2020. A copy of Mr Hammonds letter can be found here.
Friday 20th March 2020
- We have poster a quick message to our wonderful Year 11 and Year 13 whose time with us was cut short yesterday. We’ve assured them that when this is all over, we will celebrate their achievements and friendships with them. The message can be read here
- We’ve added a helpline email for Microsoft Teams – if you need help please email TeamsHelp@ems.hartlepool.sch.uk
- We’ve added a quick Teams Help video to the Team page. You can watch the video here
- Mr Hammond has sent another letter to all parents. You can read it here
- If you are accessing school for supervision and use school transport then there has been a change to the bus route. Changes are here
Monday 23rd March 2020
- School is now open for children of Key Workers or Vulnerable children if they have no other childcare arrangements. Wherever possible government guideline is to keep your children at home.
- Mr Hammond has sent a letter to all Year 11 and Year 13 students updating them on Public Examinations. You can read the letter here.
Wednesday 25th March 2020
- We’ve received notification today that the limited school bus service will cease from Monday 30th March until further notice.